In case you haven't noticed, based on the blogs name and what I post, I am a huge baseball fan. Now, Spring Training has just begun in Arizona and Florida, but unfortunately, I don't live in either of those states, so I must turn to Twitter, Instagram, and other forms of social media to get my "fix". Luckily, the ST games are just around the corner, but, for now, I'm still without a good way to spend my weekends. Or am I?
Having just started college last September, I am fortunate enough to have a way to see live baseball games as early as February 1st, or in my case, February 15th. This next part may sound a little harsh, but I'm just being honest here. Going into Saturday's game 2, I didn't expect too much from the Coyotes, my college's team. As of friday night, they were 0-6. I wasn't sure what had happened in game 1 of the double header, aside from the final score left on the scoreboard when I walked into Fiscalini Field. The board read 4-7, Coyotes. So it looked as though we had finally won our first game of the season!
 |
| The field being set up for game 2 |
In the top of the first, the CSUEB (Cal St University East Bay) Pioneers scored 2 runs, courtesy of two base hits and an error, but the Coyotes took them right back in the bottom half of the inning with a bunt base hit and 2 sac flies. That was a sigh of relief. In the top of the third, the Pioneers scored 1 run with a ground rule double and another error and didn't look back, scoring 2 in the 5th, due to 2 base hits and a third error, and 1 more in the 6th with help from a balk and some fielders choices. The Coyotes couldn't counter and ended up falling to the Pioneers by a final score of 6-2 in the 7 inning contest. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but it was a bit of a let down for my first game of the 2014 season, but the important thing was that it was in fact a baseball game.
I had a free day on Sunday and the Coyotes were playing the Pioneers for their 4th and final game of the weekend, so I figured I'd venture down to San Bernardino and see what the Yotes could do. The game got off to an interesting start as the Pioneers scored a run in the top of the first. The Coyotes took it right back though, while adding two more, courtesy of a 3 run home run by Designated hitter, Nick Oddo. In the top of the 3rd, the Pioneers struck again, adding 1 run to the board due in part to a ground rule double. With two base hits and an intentional walk, they did the same in the top of the 5th, tying the ball game at 3. They scored one in the top of the 7th after an error and two sacrifices, and yet another in the top of the 8th after two consecutive walks and a double, making the score 5-3 in their favor. I was beginning to lose hope, but as with any game, major league, minor league, independent league, or college, I didn't leave. I gotta say, I sure am glad I didn't. I would surely have kicked myself if I had. The bottom of the 8th came up and started with an out. The next batter up got on with a base hit, followed by a hit batter, putting runners on 1st and 2nd. After an error, the bases were loaded and just in time too, as first baseman Trevor McMaster ripped a double to right center, allowing 2 runs to score. The game was now tied at 5, but the Coyotes weren't quite done yet. One pitching change, a walk, and fielders choice later, and the bases were once again loaded. Coming up to the plate to pinch hit for 3rd baseman, Aaron Owen was Richard Mount. With 2 outs and the bases loaded, the crowd, or maybe it was just me, was on the edge of their seats. Good thing we were, because Mount crushed the ball over the wall in left center field. The Coyotes were now up 9-5 and wouldn't look back. The top of the 9th then began after a ground out to first ended the 8th. The Coyotes put in Brian Jipp, who I assume is the closer, to finish the game. He had no problem setting down the first two batters, via the strikeout. The third batter of the inning hit the ball to the first baseman, who then tossed it to Jipp, who was covering first, to end the game.
No comments:
Post a Comment