Sunday, June 2, 2013

JetHawks Soar Past the Rawhide

In 2012 I decided to make it a goal of mine to visit all of the stadiums in the California League North and South. I've been to the Quakes home field hundreds of times, since I was a month old, in 1995 to be exact. I've been to Inland Empire's field at least 3 times, Lake Elsinore 3 times, and High Desert once. I've even been to the Bakersfield stadium 2 times and the Visalia Rawhide once. So far that's 4 of 5 teams in the South and 2 of 5 in the North. Now to get to the point. Last night, June 1st, I was finally able to say that I've completed half of my original goal. I got to see my first JetHawks game at The Hangar. So for the South, it's 5 down and none to go! 

What a great game my first game was. The JetHawks were down 2-0, but ended up winning it 12-3. Not only did I get to see 3 home runs, but I also got to see a hit streak continue on for Lancaster's right fielder, Preston Tucker.

Aside from a light curtain of ash falling from a nearby fire, I found The Hangar, or Clear Channel Stadium, to be quite an amazing place to watch America's Pastime. My seat was in the first row, right behind the JetHawks dugout, which gave me a good view of the field and Rawhide dugout. The field itself gave off a taste of the old and new with both an electronic scoreboard and a manual scoreboard. The music that was played between innings and pitching changes was in good taste and variety, so I often found myself singing along. The employees were courteous and well informed and the players themselves seemed to be having fun as well, or so I judged after viewing some dancing in the dugout. I found the locations of the clubhouses to be very interesting as they reside in foul territory in left and right field respectively. I'm accustomed to them being located underneath the seats of the stadium, but what's wrong with a little change every now and then, right?

Now back to the game. As I said earlier, the Rawhide got off to a good start against the JetHawks after scoring 2 runs in the top of the first, but the 'Hawks took those runs back in the bottom half of the inning. The Rawhide stole back another run in the top of the 2nd, but would not score another run for the rest of the night. The JetHawks, on the other hand, went on to score 3 in the 4th, 5 in the 5th, and 2 in the 8th. I was looking forward to seeing the entire JetHawk team, but I was watching certain members of the team very closely, although the entire roster is loaded with talent. One player in particular was the second baseman, Delino DeShields. He ended up going 2-5 with two singles and scoring 2 runs. I was also looking forward to seeing Pretson Tucker, who certainly produced what was promised. He went 2-4 with a walk, a double, and the first home run of the night for the JetHawks. Left fielder, Brandon Meredith went 3-5 with 2 singles and a double. Designsted hitter, Chris Epps went 1-3 with a walk and the 2nd home run for the JetHawks. Shortstop, Joe Sclafani went 2-3 with 2 walks, a single and the third home run of the night for the JetHawks. First baseman, Telvin Nash went 2-5 with a single and a double. Relief pitcher Michael Dimock impressed in his 1.1 innings, allowing no runs or hits and striking out 2. Piggy back starter, Brady Rodgers ended up earning the win after going 4 scoreless innings and allowing just 2 hits while striking out 3.

The Rawhide had a few stand out players last night, so I'll start with their second baseman, Gerson 
Montilla, who went 2-5 with a double and a bunt single. Right fielder, Tom Belza went 3-4 with 3 base hits. Center fielder, Evan Marzilli went 2-4 with a bunt single and a double. 

The JetHawks lineup
The Rawhide lineup
2012 Championship Ring Replica on top of the JetHawks Dugout
Home plate
The outfield
First Baseman, Telvin Nash
Starting pitcher, Chris Devenski
Second baseman, Delino DeShields
JetHawks Defense
View from the radio booth
JetHawks celebrating the 12-3 win

No comments:

Post a Comment